Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Maciek

Maciek comes from Lower Silesia, the same region in South-western Poland I come. A guy that believes really in the Straight Edge movement, a fervent advocate of vegetarianism who seems to have never stopped fighting



Winding it up.


I don’t know – the reason while I’m boxing is sport. I’m simply doing that for sport and really – I’ve got no clue.


"Sometimes Danny comes up with different ideas – such as making you leave the gym and go running outside in your intervals or getting you to do some killer work-outs"


The place does look crude, but it’s something that has always existed in the stereotype of boxing and boxing gyms


Arena Luton” could have been a location in the crudest “Rocky” films. Wooden floor looks like one you’d expect to see in a barn, all of the boxing bags are taped to prevent them from falling apart. Triumphant Mohammed Ali looks at us from a poster


I can recollect my mum saying that she’d never want me to become a boxer because they’re simply…stupid. Too many punches in your head and there you go


"Dancing queens"


"Guy's got experience, he's been boxing for about 12 or 13 years...funny thing - he's never had a real fight, he's been always doing it just for fun"


We’ve got different people coming here,” says Danny (coach) in his Lutonian accent, “Lots of kids as well, as young as 9 or 10, they start here” Danny looks at a blond kid playing with the ropes, “Are you having a break?”


This is the men's world


Plus, look at the genetics – they’re (Asians) the worst race when it comes to any martial arts – their bones are very weak, that’s why it’s technically the easiest to break a Pakistani’s guy jaw. Blacks are just the opposite, to knock them out you'll need a hammer in your glove”.


Getting ready


Fighting the bigger guy


Time is ticking fast


Talking thrash


We’d always get into fights – that was the reality of who we were and where we lived”


On the ropes


Maciek needs a break because of a hit he got. “Damn, the guy is really hard to fight. First of all, look at how long his arms are, then it’s his experience – he economized on punches and winds up less tired”.


Dead tired after the scrimmage


When I start fighting and I win the first two fights) , I might go on; if I lose but I still feel like I did well, I’ll also stay, otherwise I’ll drop it”. Sports have always been a very important part of the immigrant experience, will it be so here?

No comments: