Wednesday, January 23, 2008

One in a Million

Being Polish in the UK has never meant being one in a million until the very recent times. The phenomenon which made hundreds of thousands of my fellow citizens come here in search of a better life, education or other reasons has been a topic of numerous conversations I’ve been involved in, both in the old country and here. There’s a couple of reasons why I have decided to embark on this subject, the number of the Polish people in here being only a minor one.

The objective of my project is to, in its course, create a gallery of Polish Portraits of people of groups who, here in Luton or Beds in general, break the stereotypes, do things that made them stand out, or play crucial roles in the community. I will try to show a person or a group on a weekly basis, documenting their activities by means of photojournalism. In my research, I have found people worthy showing and I hope to keep up with them and other ones which I might find along the way.

5 comments:

AGATA said...

Some people exist. And some people live. The difference is that the first one are less conscious in many issues and the second one bear the consciousness in mind.

Great pictures with extraordinary atmosphere on them.

Jacob Kepinski said...

Muchos gracias chociaz ni uja nie rozumiem o co kaman :D

Konrad said...

Dude,
first let me say that to me your pics convey the atmosphere of the boxing gym in an intense way.I can almost smell the sweat.Nicely done.As for the project itslef, I believe that it's tremendously ambitious. And even though I wouldn't bet my money on it, I think it may be a way of reaching the hosts of this country and presenting to them the "bright side" of the Polish influx. To me, by embarking upon such a project you break the steoretypes yourself and stand out from the crowd.Lookin' forward to seeing the gallery expand.Keep up the good work!Big up from a collegemate.

Jacob Kepinski said...

Personally I see this project as something important and to be frank - I really dont know which audience is more crucial to reach; is it the Polish people back there who hear of their 1-2mil fellow citizens as a 'mass' which doesn't have names or faces, just professions such as builders, waiters and so on; or is it the British who, with the exceptions of the university students and some other people, havent got a real chance to get to know us. Well, this question is for the people to judge themselves. For me, the work on PolishPortraits (which for the time being starts and ends with this web site containing 5-6 chapters) has been both a struggle and fun, not to mention the huge learning experience. It's been my first such a big project and I'm looking forward to comments, criticism and any thoughts. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I would say your target audience are both the Polish people back in Poland, and the British people who fill their minds with assumptions such as 'they come here to steal our jobs'.
There are misconceptions at both sides.
Keep it up!